Making the best of Vocabulary
Literacy Across the Curriculum
An easy way to support Literacy Across the Curriculum
A Vocabulary mid-lesson mini-plenary
You started the lesson with a key vocabulary activity? But if you want to know that this has had impact how do you check?Here’s one idea…
Ask students mid way into a lesson to swap work with a partner ( to help differentiate, use buddies you select).
Now ask the students to peer assess only highlighting use of the lessons key vocabulary.
Points to Remember:
- Students don’t always get the context of key vocabulary right in their work
- Choose pairs carefully to make sure students productively engage in the activity and lesson
Ask students to share the good uses of key vocabulary that they’ve highlighted in their partners work.
- This give you a chance to assess both students contextual understanding of the vocabulary
- It gives weaker students a chance to be inspired by their peers
- You’ve an opportunity to give praise and encouragement to pupils across the ability range.
Sounds easy enough doesn’t it? It’s a simple thing that in the midst of a lesson you might forget to do, but its valuable to you and the students. Give it a go!